There are no words to take away the pain and grief so many have felt over the senseless killings in Newtown, Conn. Our prayers go out to all whose lives have been touched by this horror. As I process it in my own mind and heart, here are some of my thoughts:
- I am sure those precious children whose lives were taken are now safely in the arms of Jesus.
- I am sure that God can handle the anger and disappointment that people may feel towards Him for “allowing” this to happen.
- I am sure that God is not the cause of evil in the word but the result of human sin.
- I am sure that God’s heart is broken every time He sees evil taking place in this world; that is why He sent His Son to deliver us from the eternal effects of evil and provide hope for a better future.
- I am sure that according to God’s word, a day is coming when there will be no more sorrow because sin and evil will be banished from God’s creation.
- I am sure that our culture’s preoccupation with violence in video games, music and movies only contributes to the sick minds that seek to make fantasy a reality.
- I am sure that we need to thank, pray for and support our educators, community leaders and law enforcement officer who seek to protect our students from violence.
- I am sure that allowing God’s Word to guide our thoughts, choices and actions will lead us to a better society than what we are becoming by abandoning those principles and allowing everyone to do what is “right” in their own sight.